Employee Benefits & ERISA
Practice Group Chair: David R. Johanson
The Employee Benefits & ERISA group at Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP brings extraordinary depth in perspective in advising on matters arising in connection with Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) plans, and in defending shareholder, employment and benefits litigation throughout the country. Our attorneys handle diverse issues ranging from mainstream benefit claims litigation to complex class actions involving employee ownership plan (ESOP) valuations, and breach of ERISA fiduciary complaints involving the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) or private litigants. We draw upon this breadth of experience to provide clients comprehensive and cost-effective services nationwide from offices in California, New York, Texas, and Georgia.
We represent employers, insurers, plans, sponsors, fiduciaries, trustees, shareholders, plan administrators and third-party administrators (TPAs) in federal courts and government regulatory proceedings before the DOL and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
In recent years, there has been an explosion in ERISA and employee benefits related litigation, DOL investigations, and IRS audits. We provide, sophisticated preventive strategies aimed to limit risk exposure in our counseling efforts and aggressive defense for achieving a cost effective resolution in matters that have escalated to litigation.
Articles and publications
- Who Goes on the Verdict Form: Is There Causative or Fault-based Apportionment in Indiana?
- Looking Forward To Oral Argument In BNSF V. Loos
- Cautious Optimism Over the Increasingly Prevalent Alternative Fee Arrangements
- Amending FELA Judgments for Tax Withholdings: Supreme Court Set To Resolve Circuit Split
- A Primer on Mergers & Acquisitions Due Diligence for CPAs
- The Last Hurrah for Last Clear Chance?
- Who Goes on the Verdict Form: Illinois’ Approach to Non-Parties and Settling Defendants and the Apportionment of Fault
- Who Goes on the Verdict Form: Tinkering Toward Utopia Leads to Complexity in Connecticut
- Who Goes on the Verdict Form: Arkansas’ Evolving Apportionment Rules
- Skeletons as Party Favors
- Damages: A View From the Defense Perspective
- An Effective Defense Starts With Understanding Privilege and the Scope of Discovery
- ESOP as a Financing Mechanism
- Tax Incentives for ESOPs
- Description and Purpose of an ESOP
- The Pros & Cons of Employee Stock Ownership Plans
- Direct Stock Purchases in Closely Held Companies
- Austin Bar Association: 14th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook Seminar
- ESOP Association: California/Western States Chapter 2018 Annual Chapter Conference
- Structuring Options for ESOP Transactions: Advanced Techniques for ERISA Counsel and Plan Sponsors
- Exit Alternatives for a Middle-Market Company
- Structuring M&A and Private Equity Sales Involving Employee Stock Ownership Plans
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance: 2018 Midwest Conference
- ERISA’s Fiduciary Rule: What’s New and What’s Next
- Pension Plan De-Risking: Tips & Strategies
- Expert Webcast: Managing Different Shareholder Constituencies in the Private Company Sale
- Expert Webcast: Creating a Buyer for your Company – ESOPs and Private Equity
- 2017 Save Me the Money Summit in Honolulu
- 2017 Save Me the Money Summit in Kihei
- ESOP Association: 2017 Annual Meeting - California/Western States Chapter
- 2017 Significant Developments in Employee Stock Ownership Plan Explored!
- Hot Topics in ERISA Litigation Developments in 2017 and Beyond
- Expert Webcast: ESOPs, a Sale Alternative for a Middle-Market Company
- Rocky Mountain Employee Ownership Center: Becoming Employee-Owned - Exploring Options for Small Businesses
- The DOL’s Fiduciary Rule: How Prepared Are You?
- Structuring M&A and Private Equity Sales Involving ESOPs: Alternative Strategy in a Down Market
- Texas Lawyer: Houston In-House Counsel Summit
- Introduction to ESOPs – Preparing for Strong Employee Stock Ownership Plans
- Ohio Employee Ownership Center: How the ESOP Fits in Your Overall Benefits Package
- Ohio Employee Ownership Center: 30th Annual Conference
- The Knowledge Group: Hot Topics in ERISA Litigation Developments in 2016 and Beyond
- The Knowledge Group: M&A Update: ESOP Financing as a Viable Exit Strategy
- Ohio Employee Ownership Center: Does Your ESOP Plan Support Your Business Plan?
- Texas Lawyer: Dallas In-House Counsel Summit
- The Knowledge Group: Prohibited Transactions Under ERISA: Obstructing Additional Taxes and Major Penalties (Webinar)
- ESOP Association: Annual Meeting - California/Western States Chapter
- National Center for Employee Ownership: Best Practices for ESOP Boards of Directors (Webinar)
- Texas Lawyer: Dallas In-House Counsel Summit
- The Knowledge Group: Employee Stock Ownership Plans: Pros and Cons (Webinar)
- Ohio Employee Ownership Center: 29th Annual Conference
- National Center for Employee Ownership: Annual Conference
- National Center for Employee Ownership: Deferring Taxation Using the Section 1042 "Rollover" (Webinar)
- HPTY Elects Eight New Partners
- Supreme Court Set To Resolve Circuit Split in BNSF v. Loos
- Federal Judge Denies Defendants’ Motions to Dismiss in Class-Action Litigation in the Northern District of California
- Eastern District of Wisconsin U.S. District Court Grants Motion to Compel Discovery Against Secretary of Labor
- Former ESOP Trustees File Appeal of Judgment in ERISA Litigation
- HPTY Opening Napa Office with Prominent Employee Benefit Attorneys from Jackson Lewis