Appellate and Legal Issues
The Appellate and Legal Issues Practice Group specializes in appellate advocacy, complex legal issues, and scientific briefs. The group has expertise in all phases of litigation, from summary judgment to mandamus proceedings and appeals across all practice areas. The Appellate Group serves clients in both the federal and state appellate courts. They have appealed cases across a wide range of legal fields, including business torts, defamation, arbitration, class actions, securities, banking, personal injury, gas and oil, employment, insurance, family law and media.
Articles and publications
- Employers: Are You Completely Protected by the Workers’ Compensation Bar?
- Long-Arm Jurisdiction in Georgia
- The Quality of Mercy Is Not Strained, Except When It Comes to Late Notice of Appeal: A Proposal to Amend Texas Rules of Appellate Procedure 2 and 26.3
- Limitation of Expert Trial Testimony: Using California Evidence Code 721, as a Sword and Shield
- The Surrounding Circumstances Doctrine for Contract Construction
- The Way Forward in Georgia: Duplicative Claims in Malpractice Litigation
- The Current State of Spoliation Law in the State Courts of Georgia
- The Proportionality Standard: Reasonably Calculated to Lead to Efficient Civil Discovery in Federal Court
- Reversed. Now what?
- Who Goes On a Verdict Form? South Carolina Law Needs Clarification
- What Happens When Your Arbitrator is AWOL?
- Putting an End to Punitive Damages for 'Fraudulent Fraud'
- Texas Law Controls That Issue(?) Don’t Bet on It
- 4 Contract Clauses You Don’t Know How to Draft
- The Texas Supreme Court Overhauls the Minority Shareholder Oppression Doctrine
- May a Party's Lawyer Prosecute Criminal Contempt Charges Against the Opposing Party?
- Don't Ruin the Texas Jury Charge
- Review of Arbitration Awards After Hall Street Associates v. Mattel
- The Supreme Court of Texas and the Emancipation Cases
- Slaves, Reconstruction, and the Supreme Court of Texas
- Should We Abandon the Consideration Requirement?
- Crafting a Court's Charge From the Defense Perspective
- Lost Secret Revealed: The Seven ABCs of Successful Appellate Advocacy
- Improper Jury Argument: To Object or Not to Object?
- Crown Life Ins. Co. v. Casteel: Return of the Prodigal Son
- Superseding the "Other Judgment"
- Working Together: Some Practical Advice for Lawyers and Forensic Economists
- Tape Recording of Conversations: Ethics, Legality, and Admissibility
- Caught in a Crossfire
- Religious Freedom Texas Style
- Tunnel Vision: Appellate Review of a Summary Judgment Order Stating a Specific Ground as the Basis for the Judgment
- Appellate Review of a Jury's Finding of "Zero Damages"
- Seventeen Lawyers Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- Dallas Police and Fire Pension System Prevails in Texas Court of Appeals
- Louisiana Court of Appeals Sets Aside Trial Court Order in Chemical Fumes Exposure Case
- Delaware Supreme Court Affirms Summary Judgment for Reichhold
- Georgia Court of Appeals Reverses Denial of Summary Judgment to Contractor on Causation in Mold Exposure Case
- Arkansas Supreme Court Affirms Workers Compensation Act’s Exclusivity For Latent Asbestos Disease Claims
- Texas Court of Appeals Overturns Trial Court Under Anti-SLAPP Act
- Arizona Court of Appeals Finds "No Duty" in Take-Home Asbestos Case
- Sixteen Lawyers Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- Georgia Supreme Court to Address “Every Exposure” Theory of Causation in Asbestos Cases
- HPTY Obtains Reversal of $36 Million Judgment Against Clients
- Seventeen Lawyers Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals Affirms Trial Court Dismissal Of Claims Against Premises Owner Client In Take-Home Multi-Substance Toxic Exposure Case
- HPTY Victory at Texas Supreme Court Leads to $7.4M Verdict for Client
- Supreme Court of Texas Ruling Entitles HPTY Clients to Recover Millions
- Rob Gilbreath Achieves Appellate Victory in Texas
- HPTY Appellate Specialist Rob Gilbreath Persuades Texas Supreme Court To Overhaul the Minority Shareholder Oppression Doctrine
- Texas Supreme Court Nixes Minority Shareholder Oppression Claims
- Rob Gilbreath and Ed Slaughter Win Arizona Supreme Court Case Affirming Summary Judgment and Application of Foreign Law
- Rob Gilbreath Wins Inverse Condemnation Case in Texas Supreme Court
- Texas Supreme Court Grants Review in Case Filed by HPTY Client
- Arkansas Supreme Court Accepts HPTY Client's Writ of Prohibition
- Texas Supreme Court Grants HPTY Client's Petition for Review in Minority Shareholder Oppression Case
- California Court of Appeals Affirms Award of Costs to HPTY's Client
- Arizona Court of Appeals Applies New Mexico Statute of Repose Upholding Dismissal of Mesothelioma Lawsuit Brought Against Design Engineer
- Texas Court of Appeals Rules in Favor of HPTY Client J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- Ed Slaughter to Argue Before Arizona Court of Appeals
- Ed Slaughter Argues before California Court of Appeal
- Rob Gilbreath Argues Venue Issue in the Fourth Court of Appeals for the State of Texas
- Appellate Specialist Rob Gilbreath Helps Preserve Significant Win at Texas Supreme Court
- Fourteen Lawyers from HPTY Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2012
- Florida Supreme Court Holds Retroactive Application of Medical Criteria Unconstitutional
- 1st District Court of Appeals of Texas Finds Medical Criteria Bill Unconstitutional When Retroactively Applied
- HPTY Steps In to Secure Last Minute Stay From Appellate Court
- Ed Slaughter and Lauren Wood Win Dismissal of Mesothelioma Case in Arizona
- David Marshall and Eric Ludwig Prevail Before the Kentucky Supreme Court
- Rob Gilbreath Argued in Supreme Court of Texas on Criminal Contempt Finding
- Eleventh Circuit Affirms Preliminary Injunction for HPTY Client in Lanham Act False Advertising Case
- Georgia Supreme Court Affirms Summary Judgment in Legal Malpractice Case
- Rob Gilbreath Secures Texas Supreme Court Victory for Merrill Lynch
- HPTY Secures Supreme Court Victory in Arizona
- Rob Gilbreath Featured in Texas Lawyer Article
- Rob Gilbreath Secures Victory in Texas Supreme Court for D.R. Horton
- Bean, Brenton S.
- Davis (Fletcher), Evelyn
- Groch, Jason
- Keith, C. Shane
- Lazzaroni, Teresa E.
- Levinson, Martin A.
- Sprinkle, Brian W.
- Whitlock, Kathryn S.
- Presson, Ashley R.
- Goldhaber, Catherine E.
- Hale, Ryan
- Marshall, Jr., H. Barret
- Gowin, Julia A.
- Schirm, Barry R.
- Otto, Jackson K.