Tracy J. Cowan
Tracy Cowan is Partner-in-Charge of the St. Louis, Missouri office of Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP.
Tracy has extensive experience with managing national mass tort litigation for corporate clients, and he has litigated asbestos, toxic tort, product liability and environmental matters in trial courts around the United States. His expertise extends to pre-litigation investigation of fire and explosion scenes and industrial accidents and fatalities. Additionally, Tracy has worked closely with and against nationally renowned experts in the asbestos and toxic tort arenas.
Tracy also has substantial professional liability experience, particularly through self-retention with banks, brokerage firms, and engineers. His representative clients include architects, engineers, landscape architects, environmental remediation consultants, financial management consultants, and business brokers. His recent successes include securing a defense victory in a multimillion dollar claim against a major securities firm.
Trial without reaching verdict in numerous matters, including matters in San Francisco County, CA, Bannock County, ID, Madison County, IL, and City of St. Louis, MO.
Representative Non-Trial Victories and Arbitration
Richard P. Hooker v. A.W. Chesterton, et al., Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Civil Action No. 07-4928 - Represented Baldor Electric Company and EMS - Asbestos Mesothelioma Lawsuit. The Court granted summary judgment in favor of Baldor and EMS despite significant asbestos product identification and exposure testimony based on sophisticated user doctrine while denying similarly situated defendants’ motions.
Daniel Brenner v. Oppenheimer & Co., Inc., District Court of Johnson County, Kansas - Represented CIBC World Markets, Inc. - Obtained summary judgment in multimillion dollar lawsuit against client on two occasions. Twice argued appeal before Kansas Supreme Court and sustained judgment on Plaintiff’s claims in second appeal.
Martha Deaton et al. v. Astec Industries, Inc., et al., Warren County, Mississippi - Represented Baldor Electric Company - Obtained summary judgment shortly before trial after extensive fact and expert discovery in product liability litigation arising out of May 16, 2002 fire and explosion at Rouse Polymerics in Vicksburg, Mississippi, the largest industrial accident in the history of the State of Mississippi. The litigation was brought on behalf of the families of five (5) workers killed by the fire and explosion in addition to seven (7) individuals who were severally injured by it.
- Illinois State Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Arkansas Bar Association
- The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Missouri Defense Lawyers
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Atrek Dance Company - Past President, Board of Directors
- St. Louis Art Museum
- Missouri Botanical Garden
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Top Rated Lawyer in 'Transportation Law,' American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell (2013)
J.D., University of Missouri School of Law (1992)
- Missouri Law Review (1990-1992)
B.A., University of Missouri - Columbia (1987)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the District of Nebraska
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Utah
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit