Ryan K. Marden
Ryan K. Marden is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP. He specializes in civil litigation with an emphasis on public-entity representation, railroad-related litigation, employment and real estate litigation. With more than 15 years of experience, Ryan has significant litigation experience, handling matters from inception through trial. He has extensive experience in preparing and arguing dispositive motions, managing mass tort litigation, training and advising clients in pre-litigation evidence preservation, and briefing and arguing appellate issues.
- Represented a major railroad company in the litigation arising from a 2008 train collision, which resulted in 25 fatalities and more than 100 claimed injuries. Ryan oversaw a litigation team of 10 attorneys and paralegals, and served as Defense Liaison Counsel in the Los Angeles Superior Court action. He was subsequently appointed as Special Master to provide feedback to the court in allocating the interpleader proceeds.
- Obtained summary judgment for a title insurance company and lender against claims of fraud and predatory lending causes of action.
- Obtained finding of liability against an employee of a major entertainment company for causing a train derailment which resulted in two fatalities and more than 25 alleged injuries. The judgment resulted in the recovery of a multi-million dollar property damage claim and no finding of liability for claims of personal injury against his client.
- Defended a common carrier in an action involving a double fatality. Ryan’s client contributed no funds towards the settlement and received reimbursement for attorney’s fees expended in defending the action.
- Obtained dismissal of defendant in federal courts against claims of RICO and claims regarding predatory lending.
- State Bar of California
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Top Attorneys in Pasadena, Pasadena Magazine (2010-2014)
J.D., University of Southern California, Gould School of Law (2001)
- International Law Journal
- United States District Court for the Central District of California