Michael W. Thicksten
Michael Thicksten is an associate in the Dallas office of Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP. He advises private and publicly-traded corporations in corporate governance, employee benefits, ownership and related business matters involving the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs), tax planning, and business succession. Additionally, he assists in mergers and acquisitions, securities, and related tax issues.
Michael is involved in all phases of litigation from inception through trial and appeal. He defends employers, fiduciaries, shareholders, and plan administrators in federal and state courts involving breach of contracts, trade secrets, non-compete agreements, fiduciary responsibilities, ESOP valuation disputes, and disclosure obligations.
While attending the University of Miami School of Law, Michael worked in the legal department of a prominent real estate developer where he advised on complex commercial matters involving corporate governance, securities, and tax issues. Prior to law school, Michael gained valuable business experience as an asset manager at a consulting firm where he was responsible for ensuring state and federal regulatory compliance of a large portfolio of assets.
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Membership Committee
- Corporate Counsel Section
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Co-chair, Membership Committee
- Co-chair, Assisting Lawyers in Transition Committee
- Fellow, DAYL Foundation
- 2015 Leadership Class
- Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program
Articles and publications
J.D., University of Miami School of Law (2014)
- National Security and Armed Conflict Law Review
- Business and Corporate Law Society
- Certificate in Business and Financial Law
- Golden Key International Honor Society
- Order of Omega Greek Honor Society
- Phi Sigma Pi Honor Society