H. Lane Young, II
Lane Young is a nationally recognized trial lawyer with more than 35 years of experience defending businesses and individuals in complex litigation throughout the United States. He has tried more than 85 trials to verdict involving a wide range of high-risk cases from catastrophic injury and wrongful death to professional liability and commercial disputes. He has tried cases across the country for many large corporations, including in Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Toxic Tort Litigation
Lane is one of the nation’s preeminent toxic tort defense lawyers. He has tried over 50 trials to verdict and has extensive experience with cases involving asbestos, talcum powder, silica, diacetyl, fiberglass, beryllium, benzene, and other chemicals. He currently serves as national trial counsel to Celanese, Ericsson, Scapa Dryer Fabrics, and Federal-Mogul; he has also been lead trial counsel for a number of other major corporations, including Sherwin-Williams and American Biltrite.
Lane spends a significant portion of his practice defending the reputations of professionals from a variety of fields, including lawyers, architects, engineers, doctors, dentists, and senior executives. He has tried 25 cases to verdict and brought over 50 appeals before various appellate courts. Lane has also represented over 100 lawyers and their law firms in legal malpractice actions across the southeastern United States.
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Member Emeritus
- Board of Directors, Litigation Section
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Chairman, Northern District Georgia Bar Council
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- West Virginia State Bar
- Old Warhorse Lawyers Club
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Atlanta Claims Association
- ALFA International
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Professional Liability Committee
- Best Lawyers® Legal Malpractice Law "Lawyer of the Year” in Atlanta (2018)
- Best Lawyers® Professional Malpractice Law "Lawyer of the Year” in Atlanta (2015)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Professional Malpractice Law, Personal Injury Litigation, Mass Tort Litigation, Legal Malpractice Law (2001-2018)
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Magazine (2004-2018)
- Top 100 Lawyers in Georgia, Atlanta Magazine (2007)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- "Preventing Legal Malpractice Claims and Ethics Complaints in Business Transactions and General Practice," Panel Participant, Kennesaw State University (October 24, 2002)
- "2005 Update: Preventing Legal Malpractice Claims and Ethics Complaints in Your Law Practice," State Bar of Georgia (October 7, 2005)
- "2007 Update: Preventing Legal Malpractice Claims and Ethical Complaints in Your Law Practice," State Bar of Georgia, Atlanta, Georgia (October 9, 2007)
- "Legal Malpractice Prevention and Defense," Risk Management Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada (June 6, 2008)
- "Asbestos and Products Liability," Defense Research Institute Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada (2002)
- "Going to Trial - What You Need To Know and Do," Defense Research Institute Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Miami Beach, Florida (November 3, 2005)
- "Opening and Closing Arguments: The Defense Perspective," Mealey's Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (2006)
- "Preparing for Your Product Liability Trial," Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Georgia 15th Annual Product Liability Seminar, Atlanta, Georgia (April 27, 2006)
- "Hindsight is 20/20," Defense Research Institute Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Las Vegas Nevada (2011)
- "Asbestiform or Not Asbestiform?" DefenseResearch Institute, Asbestos Medicine Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana(November 10-11, 2016)
- "The Status of Bad Faith Claims in Georgia," Insurance Law Institute, Atlanta, Georgia (September 28, 1995)
- "Don't Let Your Good Deal Turn Bad," Ethics Panel, Lorman Commercial Leasing Seminar, Atlanta, Georgia (May 24, 2000)
Articles and publications
- Atlantic Specialty Insurance Company v. Deans Inc.
- FFI Macon, LLC and C. Peyton Day v. Hall Bloch Garland & Meyer, LLP, et al.
- Jon A. Gottlieb, P.C. vs. Don Mayhew, vs. Jon Gottlieb
- Aquila v. Brisk Transportation L.P.
- Angela D. Keene, Individually and as Personal Representative of the Estate of Dennis Seay, Deceased, and Linda Seay v. 3M Company, et al.
- J.B. v. Goldstein Garber & Salama, LLC
- Beverley v. Cleveland Electric
- Amy Zickhur, Individually and as the Special Administrator to the Estate of Richard Campbell, Deceased, and Florence Campbell v. Ericsson Inc., et al.
- Dennis & Sally Riley v. Alcoa, Inc., et al.
- Richard Simpson v. AWC 1997 Corp., et al.
- Donnie R. Moore and Judy Moore V. American Biltrite, Inc., et al.
- Brenda Williams v. R. T. Vanderbilt, et al.
- Skelly v. Scapa, et al.
- Peter Hirsch v. R.T. Vanderbilt
- Royal & SunAlliance Insurance Group, PLC v. Mozley, Finlayson, and Loggins, LLP, et al.
- Joel & Sharon Rosenberg v. Alpha Wire Co., et al.
- Johnny Franklin, et al v. General Motors Corporation, et al.
- In re: Baylor, et al v. Scapa, Inc.
- William H. Rendle & Lillian E. Rendle, his wife v. American Optical Corp., et al.
- Skaggs v. Emergency Professionals of Atlanta, PC
- Westley v. Scapa Dryer Fabrics, Inc.
- Atlanta Casualty v. Page, Scrantom, et al.
- Bobby Cummings v. Warren Pumps
- Joe James, et al. v. The Sherwin-Williams Company
- Charles Winkler v. Scapa, Inc.
- Estate of John T. Newman, Paula McPhail, Exec. v. Scapa, Inc.
- Clarence Bentley v. Ericsson, Inc.
- Clarence Bentley v. Union Carbide
- Ernest Coulter v. Scapa, Inc.
- William Rhodes v. Universal Supply Group
- George Adams, et al v. A.W. Chesterton, et al.
- Paul Verret & Judith Verret v. American Biltrite, Inc., et al.
- Carl Saville, et al v. Scapa Dryer Fabrics, Inc., et al.
- Jessie Clancy, et al v. Kelly-Moore Paint Company, et al.
- Linda Kimbrell v. William P. Johnson, et al.
- Richard Austin v. Cleaver Brooks
- William Mendoza v. Cleaver Brooks
- Clarence Rabold v. Ericsson, Inc.
- First Bancorp Mortgage Corp. v. Richard Feagin
- James Brightman v. Cotton States Insurance Company
- Peterman v. Hamilton Materials, Inc.
- Toney v. Kelly Moore Paint Company
- Dennis Emrick v. Scapa, Inc., et al.
- John Doe v. Ralph W. Walker, III
- Larry Lavoie v. Julius Alembik
- Bobby R. Owen & Janice Owen v. Donald C. Suessmith
- Jim Morgan, et al v. Diane Dawson, et al.
- Jimmy Ray & Pay Ray v. Robert B. Lipman
- Jones v. Morgan Saw
- Robert E. Bickham, et al v. Scapa, Inc., et al.
- Edward F. Adams, et al v. Coweta County, et al.
- George W. Robertson v. Ericsson, Inc., et al.
- Ronald F. Peycno v. Ericsson, Inc.
- Whit Payne v. Jefferson Insurance Company
- Dannie Wynn, et al v. Richard L. Montgomery, et al.
- Kanawha County Mass IV
- Mark S. Grubb v. Coweta County
- Charles A. Dunn v. Jefferson Insurance Company of New York
- John Orecchia v. Ericsson Radio Systems
- Tennie Roberson v. George C. & Debra W. Temples
- Acree v. Lefkoff, Duncan, Miller, et al.
- Hamilton v. Coweta County
- In re: Asbestos Personal Injury Cases Abrams Lead
- Robert Lytle v. Armstrong World Industries, Inc.
- Madeline Jacobsen v. Thomas M. Boyle, III and Glenville Haldi
- Spradlin v. Duckett
- Herman M. Hoffman v. Allied Signal
- Scarberry v. Armstrong World Industries, Inc.
- Russell Amos, et al. v. Armstrong World Industries, Inc., et al.
- William S. McHugh & Madeline McHugh v. Anaconda Wire & Cable
- Rufus Cline, et al v. Armstrong World Industries, Inc., et al.
- James Moore v. Johns Manville Sales Corporation, et al.
- Aubrey Hendrix, et al v. Johns-Manville Corp., et al.
- Ralph G. Watson v. Raybestos Manhattan, et al.
J.D., with honors, University of Georgia School of Law (1976)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable William B. Gunter, Justice, Georgia Supreme Court (1976-1977)
B.A., with honors, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (1973)
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- United States District Court for the District of New Mexico
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Seventeen Lawyers Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- Twenty Lawyers Selected to Georgia's 2017 Super Lawyers®
- Defense Verdict in Lightning Strike Fire Loss Subrogation Claim
- Sixteen Lawyers Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© 2017
- Georgia Supreme Court to Address “Every Exposure” Theory of Causation in Asbestos Cases
- Seventeen Lawyers Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- Fifteen Lawyers Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- Thirteen HPTY Lawyers Named as Best Lawyers in America® for 2014
- HPTY Obtains Defense Verdict in Georgia Occupational Exposure Trial
- Thirteen HPTY Lawyers Named as Best Lawyers in America® for 2013
- Fourteen Lawyers from HPTY Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2012
- HPTY Wins Summary Judgment in Breach of Fiduciary Duties Case
- HPTY Wins Summary Judgment in Breach of Fiduciary Duties Case