Kathleen M. Benton
Katie Benton is an Associate in the Los Angeles office of Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP with experience in all phases of complex civil litigation. She specializes in product liability and toxic tort matters and has defended national clients, including premises owners, manufacturers,and retailers of construction, automotive, consumer, and industrial products.
Katie effectively manages caseloads for national clients, while always ensuring clients remain informed of the progression of each case, defense strategies,and tactics for identifying opportunities to obtain early dismissals. Katie prides herself on her effective communication skills with clients, in the courtroom, and in the form of written motions and briefs. Katie is actively involved in all phases of complex civil litigation including,depositions of plaintiffs, fact witnesses, and expert witnesses, defending clients’ corporate representatives at depositions, written discovery, summary judgment and adjudication motions, forum non conveniens motions and motions to transfer venue, motions in limine, trial briefs, and trial preparation. Katie also frequently appears in court to argue discovery motions, summary judgment and adjudication motions, and motions in limine.
In law school, Katie was an editor for the Pepperdine Law Review and received multiple awards for her legal research and for her publication: Can Copyright Law Perform the Perfect Fouette?:Keeping Law and Choreography on Balance to Achieve the Purposes of the Copyright Clause.
- Central City Association
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of California
Articles and publications
J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law (2009)
- Certificate, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
- Winner, Vincent S. Dalsimer Moot Court Competition (2009)
- Note & Comment Editor, Pepperdine Law Review (2008 - 2009)
- Sorensen Award for the Best Student Law Review Article (2008)
- Order of the Barristers
B.A., magna cum laude, History & Political Science, University of Southern California (2006)
- Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society
- Dean’s List
- Dean’s Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research
- Honors in History for Thesis (Union, Nation, and State: Uncovering the Nationalism of Abraham Lincoln)
- All State Courts of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California