Jason J. Irvin
Jason Irvin is a fierce advocate for his clients. He advises Fortune 500 companies as well as small businesses in risk management and develops aggressive litigation strategies designed to protect their commercial interests and prevent lawsuit abuse. His clients have entrusted him with a variety of issues ranging from product liability, breach of contract, and allegations of fraud to environmental liabilities, real estate, and property damage. As national strategic counsel to several corporations, Jason focuses on litigation strategy, expert development, and trial work.
Jason is a first-chair trial lawyer with extensive experience handling complex scientific, medical, and technical cases. He has won defense verdicts in several states for his clients. He won two defense verdicts in 2017. Jason obtained a complete defense verdict in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico on behalf of an industrial electrical services provider in a case involving millions in damages for the complete loss of commercial property due to a lightning caused fire. Later that year he secured a defense verdict for an HVAC & plumbing supply house after three-weeks of trial in an asbestos-related mesothelioma case tried in Pennsylvania’s coal mining region. In addition to his work on behalf of companies, Jason has tried pro bono cases, such as obtaining a $100,000 verdict in favor of an indigent client in a breach of contract and fraud case.
Understanding that attorneys are in customer service, Jason prides himself on learning his clients’ business. He works diligently to protect his clients’ future and prevent them from becoming “low hanging fruit” for the Plaintiffs’ bar. As an early adopter of technology, he leads the firm’s committee focused on the innovation and integration of technologies that provide more efficient and secure legal services.
- Trial Attorneys of America
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- New Mexico Defense Lawyers Association
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of New Mexico
- New York State Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Litigation Section
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Super Lawyer "Rising Star," Super Lawyers Magazine (2010, 2012-2015)
- "Anti-Venom: Teaching Your PMK to Beat the Reptile," DRI, Defense Lawyers Asbestos Symposium, Austin, Texas (November 2018)
- "Putting Your Best Voice Forward," DRI, Asbestos Medicine Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana (November 2016)
- "Evaluating Industrial Hygiene Conclusions," Perrin Conferences, Asbestos Litigation Conference,San Francisco, California (September 2016)
- "Asbestos Field Guide: Defense of Friction and Gasket Cases," In-House CLE, Indianapolis, Indiana (August 2016)
- “Conducting a Trial from an iPad,” DRI, Product Liability Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana (February 2016)
- "Never Mind the Facts: The Damning Narrative Plaintiffs Can Aim at Any Defendant," Defense Research Institute, Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada, (November 2015)
- “Beating the Reptilian Brain,” Trial Attorneys of America, Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (June 2015)
- “Keeping Your Boiler Defendant from Losing Steam - Boiler Operation and Defense Strategy,” DRI, Asbestos Medicine Seminar, San Francisco, California (November 2014)
- "Jury Selection in a Products Liability Case," Trial Attorneys of America, Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (June 2014)
- "What We Learned From Victories & Defeats in the Last 12 Months" Defense Asbestos Litigation Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada (June 2014)
- "The Lung Cancer Case: The Claims Are Really About Smoking," HarrisMartin's Southeast Asbestos Litigation Conference, Charleston, South Carolina (March 2014)
- "Spoliation of Evidence: When to Cry Over Spilled Milk," Trial Attorneys of America, Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (June 2013)
- "Anatomy of a Case - Cost and Quality Control," Texas Lawyer, In-House Counsel Summit (October 2012)
- "Assessing and Addressing Insurance Fraud in the Claims Environment," CLM (July 2011)
Articles and publications
- Horst, et al. v. Union Carbide Corp., et al.
- Atlantic Specialty Insurance Company v. Deans Inc.
- Keith and Joy Ann Turley v. Ameron International Corporation, et al.
- Jessica Wagner, Individually And as Executor of the Estate of James Wager v. ArvinMeritor, Inc., et al.
- Jerome Candrilli, et al. v. A.O. Smith Water Products, Co., et al.
- Robert D. Wall, Sr., et al. v. Honeywell International, et al.
- Joy Lynn Tipping v. Art by Ancizar, Inc., et al.
- Cami Bivert v. Caterpillar, Inc., et al.
- Parga v. Caterpillar Industrial, Inc., et al.
- Patrick McCloskey, et al. v. A.O. Smith Water Products, et al.
- Harvey McIntyre, et al. v. 3M Company, et al.
- Natalie R. Dean, Individually and as Representative of the Estate of Paul Gaydos, Deceased, and Rebecca Lynn Karlik and Deane Maries Gaydos v. Alcoa, Inc.
- William Patchen v. A.W. Chesterton, et al.
- Jacob and Norma Jager v. 3M Company, et al
- Robert Casci v. 3M Company, et al.
- Gerold Ricks v. A.W. Chesterton Company, et al.
- Nasseem and Sanna Farag v. Advance Auto Parts, et al.
- Charles and Glenda Cundiff v. Alfa Laval, Inc., et al.
- Baker v. Bondex
- Melba Learn v. Alfa Laval, Inc., et al.
- Constancio v. 7-Eleven
J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law (2001)
- Intern, Texas Supreme Court for Justice Nathan Hecht
B.A., with honors, University of Texas at Austin (1998)
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa
- Lifetime Member, Ex-Students Association
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the District of New Mexico
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- SCOTUS to Decide the Fate of the Bare Metal Defense
- HPTY Obtains Two Defense Verdicts in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania
- New Rules Governing New York City's Asbestos Litigation
- Defense Verdict in Lightning Strike Fire Loss Subrogation Claim
- HPTY Wins Daubert Motion in Federal Court Take-Home Asbestos Case for Premises Client
- HPTY to Co-Chair and Speak at HarrisMartin's Southeast Asbestos Litigation Conference
- Ed Slaughter, Jason Irvin, and Saxon Guerriere Obtain Summary Judgment in Illinois Mesothelioma Case
- Susan Egeland and Jason Irvin Named 2013 Rising Stars in Texas
- Jason Irvin Wins Defense Verdict in Los Angeles Asbestos Trial
- California Supreme Court Confirms that a Defendant Cannot be Held Strictly Liable for Another Manufacturer’s Product
- Ed Slaughter Wins Defense Verdict in Los Angeles Mesothelioma Case
- HPTY Secures Supreme Court Victory in Arizona