James Y. Lee
James Lee is an attorney focusing his practice on complex commercial litigation and products liability in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Mr. Lee has successfully defended a variety of diverse matters, including those dealing with contract disputes, construction defects, premises liability, class action products liability, transportation and carrier liability, and labor law in both state and federal courts. Mr. Lee’s trial practice includes oral arguments on dispositive and discovery motions, mediation, arbitration, and participation in pre-trial and compliance conferences.
Prior to joining Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP, he worked as an associate attorney for a litigation defense firm in New York City. While in law school, Mr. Lee served in chambers with the late, Honorable Harold Baer, Jr., of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York as well as the Honorable Doris Ling-Cohan, Justice of the NY State Supreme Court, Appellate Term, First Department. He also served as an intern with the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Legislative Affairs, as well as the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Mr. Lee additionally interned with the state prosecutor’s offices of the New York County District Attorney’s Office as well as the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
Mr. Lee earned his Juris Doctor from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. After law school, Mr. Lee earned a Master's degree in Social Policy at the University of Pennsylvania where his research focused on juvenile and adult incarceration policy trends in federal and state prisons.
James represents automotive products and vehicle manufacturers in matters arising from design defect, failure to warn, and contract disputes. James regularly makes appearances for oral arguments on dispositive and discovery motions, mediations, and arbitrations. A sample of his experience includes:
- Obtained numerous discontinuances and dismissals on behalf of OEM and aftermarket automobile product manufacturers.
- Secured dismissals in design defect lawsuits arising from alleged faulty airbags on behalf of Fortune Global 500 Japanese automobile manufacturer.
- Secured dismissal as first-chair in a small claims trial on behalf of auto dealership with regard to alleged spontaneous combustion of a vehicle.
- Represented construction vehicle manufacturer in lawsuit alleging injuries sustained from toxic exposure to friction products connected to crane and track brake systems.
- First-chaired mediation and secured favorable settlement on behalf of Japanese motorcycle company with regard to alleged faulty belting system.
- Secured favorable settlement in a lawsuit arising from alleged warped chassis on behalf of recreational vehicle chassis manufacturer.
- Asian American Bar Association of New York
- Co-Chair, Litigation Committee
- Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York
- Board of Governors
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Open Hands Legal Services
- Hope Church NYC — Transitional Leadership Team
- Designee, Chair (Group 3 Subcommittee), 2017 New York State Supreme Court, Independent Judiciary Screening Panel - New York County Democratic Committee
- Program Chair, Moderator, "Redefining Personal Jurisdiction post-Bristol-Myers Squibb v. Superior Court of California," Asian American Bar Association of New York's Fall Conference (September 23, 2017)
- Co-Chair, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association's North East Regional Conference (August 19-21, 2016)
- Logistics Co-Chair, Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York's Annual Gala (2014, 2015, 2016)
Articles and publications
J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
- Public Interest Stipend Recipient
- Washington DC Externship Fellow
- Co-President, Korean American Law Students Association
- Vice President, Asian Pacific American Law Students Association
M.S., Social Policy, University of Pennsylvania
M.Div., Biblical Theological Seminary
B.A., magna cum laude, Psychology, Religion, Temple University
- Phi Beta Kappa
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York