Eric A. Ludwig
Eric Ludwig is a Partner in the Atlanta office of Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP. Eric is an experienced trial attorney who concentrates his practice in the areas of product liability, toxic tort, environmental, healthcare, and transportation litigation. He serves as HPTY's primary litigator in the Commonwealth of Kentucky and as a member of several teams that operate as national coordinating counsel.
Toxic Tort and Product Liability Litigation
Eric is seasoned at addressing clients' needs from the initial investigation through trial and appeal. He has successfully defended and tried lawsuits involving allegations of exposure to toxic products. Representative matters include:
- In May 2005, he was assistant trial counsel defending a lung cancer wrongful death claim in a two-week jury trial involving allegations of asbestos exposure.
- In February 2006, he defended a lung cancer wrongful death claim in a three-week jury trial involving allegations of asbestos exposure.
- In August 2007, he was assistant trial counsel in the defense of a mesothelioma wrongful death claim in a multi-week jury trial involving allegations of raw component exposure.
Dispositive and Appellate Practice
In addition to trial work, Eric defends verdicts and dispositive dismissals before appellate courts.
- He has also drafted multiple Writs of Mandamus seeking interlocutory relief.
- He was instrumental in obtaining a ruling dismissing 3800 asbestos-related claims consolidated in three mass complaints. The dismissals are considered the largest in Kentucky legal history.
- He has been granted dispositive dismissal in transportation and general civil liability cases pending in Georgia.
Before joining HPTY, Eric had the privilege of beginning his legal career as law clerk and intern for multiple federal and state judges. He used this extraordinary opportunity to work on a wide variety of legal issues and held positions with the following courts:
- Magistrate Judge Timothy Hogan (U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio), Internship
- Chief Judge Walter Rice (U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio), Internship
- Judge Stephen Mershon (Jefferson County, Kentucky Circuit Judge), Law Clerk
- Judge Denise Clayton (Jefferson County, Kentucky Circuit Judge) (who is now on the Kentucky Court of Appeals), Law Clerk.
- State Bar of Georgia
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Everybody Wins (children's weekly reading program) (Volunteer)
- Super Lawyer "Rising Star," Super Lawyers Magazine (2010)
Articles and publications
J.D., University of Dayton School of Law (2000)
B.S., Economics, University of Kentucky (1997)
- Georgia Supreme Court
- Georgia Courts of Appeal
- Kentucky Courts of Appeal
- Indiana Supreme Court
- Indiana Courts of Appeal
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- United States District Court for the Western District of Kentucky