Edward R. Ulloa
Ed Ulloa is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP. Mr. Ulloa is an experienced trial attorney whose practice involves the defense of clients in high-risk, mass tort litigation, including asbestos, chemical exposure, flammable fabric and automotive product liability actions.
Mr. Ulloa has served as first-chair trial counsel in over 50 jury trials and has represented manufacturers of naval and industrial equipment, automotive friction and gasket materials, and joint compound and drywall materials, and flammable fabrics at trial. Mr. Ulloa is highly experienced in the successful argument of summary judgment and pretrial motions and is involved in the development of litigation and trial strategies for high-risk mass tort litigation clients across the nation. Mr. Ulloa supervises other attorneys in the representation of products liability matters and negotiates on behalf of clients at court mandated settlement conferences. Mr. Ulloa represents clients in fact and expert witness depositions in cases in across the country and is involved in pre-litigation investigation of actions involving clients on a national basis.
Mr. Ulloa represented the defense bar in oral argument relating to the coordination of asbestos litigation in Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego Counties, as well as serving on the defense steering and advisory committees relating to discovery and litigation General Orders promulgated by the coordinated Southern California asbestos trial courts.
Mr. Ulloa also has extensive experience in product liability litigation on behalf of major automobile manufacturers involving design and performance of roof structure, air bag, door latch and seat assemblies. Mr. Ulloa has also served as a city attorney, defending government tort litigation involving dangerous conditions of public properties, federal civil rights actions and prosecuting building and safety and code enforcement violations in civil and criminal courts.
Mr. Ulloa began his legal career as a Deputy District Attorney, prosecuting sexual assault and domestic violence offenders, and has drafted legislation seeking to enhance the sentencing schemes for child pornography offenders.
- Defense Research Institute
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce
- Orange County Bar Association
- California District Attorneys' Association
- Central City Association
- State Bar of California
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Top Rated Lawyer in ‘Mass Torts Law,’ American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell (2013)
- Deputy City Attorney, City of Hesperia (2001-2003)
- Deputy District Attorney, County of Ventura (1995-1999)
- Deputy District Attorney, County of Orange (1999-2000)
"New Frontiers in Product Identification," Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview & Outlook, Perrin Conferences, San Francisco, CA (September 2015)
"Current Trends In Asbestos Litigation In Southern California," Defense Counsel Strategy Session, Defense Research Institute, Miami, FL (March 2010)
"AB 2661 Legislation to Enhance Sentencing Scheme for Internet Child Pornography Offenders" (2000 Legislative Session)
Domestic Violence Investigation and Prosecution Seminars, Orange County District Attorney's Office/Fullerton Police Department (1999)
- Unterleitner v. BASF Catalysts, LLC
- Moore, et al. v. Calaveras Asbestos Ltd., et al.
- Richard Whittenburg and Shuiyu Hu Whittenburg v. John Crane Inc., et al.
- Freddie Beauchamp, Jr. vs. American Honda Motor Company, Inc., et al.
- Cynthia Konigsberger v Kaiser Gypsum, et.al.
- Enayati v. Atlantic Richfield Corp., et al.
- Arredondo v. Alfa Laval, Inc., et al.
- Ameliah Carpenter vs. Leon Max Inc
- Larry Davis v. Shelby Specialty Gloves, et al.
- D. Smith v. ABB, Inc., et al
- William Mansir v. Air & Liquid Systems Corp, et al.
- David Blackinton v. Bondex International, et al.
- Ruben Flores v. Bondex International, et al.
- Stanley Racik v. Alfa Laval,Inc.
- Maletz v. Carrillo
J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law (1995)
- Chairman, Vincent Dalsimer Advocacy Tournament
- Interschool Honors Trial Advocacy Team
- Moot Court Board
- Terry Giles Honor Scholarship
- Athalie Irvine Clarke Endowed Scholarship
- Outstanding Leadership Scholarship
B.A., California State University, Long Beach, Theatre Arts, Dean's Honors List (1989)
- All California Superior Courts
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California