Claire C. Weglarz
Claire Weglarz is a first-chair trial attorney who represents public and private entities in high-risk litigation involving products liability, environmental claims, and toxic exposures to asbestos, talc, and various chemicals. She represents clients in a broad range of industries from energy and chemicals to manufacturing, automotive, and consumer goods. In the past 10 years, she has tried 11 cases to verdict in Washington and California, including in the counties of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Alameda, San Diego, and San Joaquin.
Claire excels at effectively communicating complex issues to judges and juries to be both comprehensible and compelling. With a background in biology, Claire specializes in developing cutting-edge litigation strategies involving the advancement of technical, scientific, and medical defenses. As a registered patent and trademark attorney, she has a unique perspective and foresight into issues involving the design, manufacture, and intended use of products.
Claire prides herself on providing results-oriented legal services that are cost-effective and predictable. She keeps her clients informed of ongoing case developments and strategies, while also seeking to prevent future litigation.
- Trial Attorneys of America
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Central City Association
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Super Lawyer "Rising Star," Super Lawyers Magazine (2009-2011)
“Asbestos Openings by a Plaintiff and Two Defense Lawyers,” Defense Asbestos Litigation Seminar, Orlando, Florida (June 7-9, 2017)
"Defense Exhibit 1: ;): Emoticons in Court," Trial Attorneys of America Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (June 8-10, 2016)
"Social Media Discovery, Collection & Admissibility," Trial Attorneys of America Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (June 12-13, 2014)
"Spoliation of Evidence: When to Cry Over Spilled Milk," Trial Attorneys of America Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (June 12-14, 2013)
Articles and publications
- Era Clevenger v. Bartells Asbestos Settlement Trust, et al.
- Booth v. John Crane Inc, et al.
- James Angus and Juana Angus v. Asbestos Corporation Limited, et al.
- Christine Louise Pass and Joseph David Pass v. Amcord, Inc. f/k/a Riverside Cement Company, et al.
- Richard Whittenburg and Shuiyu Hu Whittenburg v. John Crane Inc., et al.
- James Harkin v. John Crane Inc., et al.
- Parga v. Caterpillar Industrial, Inc., et al.
- Schildknegt v. Air & Liquid Systems Corporation, et al.
- Silas J. Minton, Jr. and Stacey L. Minton v. Borgwarner Morse Tec Inc., et al.
- Steven Burleson, et al. v. 3M Company, et al.
- Schott, et al. v. Alfa Laval, Inc., et al.
- William Patchen v. A.W. Chesterton, et al.
- Keeney, et al. v. A.W. Chesterton Company, et al.
- Robert Niebauer, et al. v. 3M Company
- William Collins, et al. v. State of California, et al.
- Mendez v. Bobcat Company, et al.
- Psyche Systems Corporation v. Marvin I. Retsky, M.D. dba TMI Pathology Associates, Inc.
J.D., University of San Diego School of Law (2004)
- Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award in Criminal Procedure
B.S, Biology, Loyola Marymount University (2000)
Institute on International and Comparative Law, London, England (2002)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- All Superior Courts (State of California)
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- Cosmetic Company Wins Motion to Quash Service for Lack of Personal Jurisdiction
- Defense Verdict in Washington Mesothelioma Trial
- Defense Verdict in California Mesothelioma Trial for John Crane Inc.
- Defense Verdict in San Francisco Toxic Tort Trial
- Defense Verdict in Los Angeles Living Mesothelioma Case
- California Jury Returns Defense Verdict in Alameda County
- National Law Journal Names HPTY to the 2014 Midsize Hot List
- Defense Verdict in Los Angeles
- HPTY Successfully Defends Appeal of Trial Verdict
- HPTY Prevails on Another Summary Judgment in Los Angeles Mesothelioma Case
- Claire Weglarz Obtained Judgment Dismissing Plaintiff's Case
- Robert Thackston and Claire Weglarz Win Directed Verdict in Los Angeles
- Jason Irvin Wins Defense Verdict in Los Angeles Asbestos Trial
- Robert Thackston and Claire Weglarz Obtain Favorable Verdict in Los Angeles Mesothelioma Case
- Claire Weglarz and Kevin Warren Named 2010 Rising Stars
- Claire Weglarz Named 2010 Rising Star