Catherine E. Goldhaber
Catherine Goldhaber is Partner-in-Charge of the Chicago office of Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP. She is a seasoned litigator who defends claims related to product liability, exposure to toxic substances and transportation-related injuries. Catherine's numerous trial successes include prevailing on behalf of an insulation supplier in a case in which plaintiff claimed his mesothelioma was caused by asbestos exposure. She handles matters directly in Illinois and Michigan and manages multi-state litigation as national coordinating and trial counsel. Furthermore, Catherine counsels clients in Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) issues, particularly as the issues arise throughout discovery and in resolution. Clients retain Catherine for her extensive knowledge of methods to avoid and/or lessen the impact of litigation. In helping businesses resolve disputes, her goal is to provide clients with an objective "big picture" while keeping track of the minute details, resulting in cost-effective case management.
Catherine currently serves as Chair of DRI's MSP Task Force. The MSP Task Force provides DRI members with updates and resources to understand the laws that affect litigation involving Medicare beneficiaries.
Prior to joining HPTY, Catherine served as Chair of Segal McCambridge's Pro Bono and Public Service Committee from 2011 to 2016. Before joining Segal McCambridge, she was an Assistant State's Attorney for Cook County. Chicago Lawyer magazine honored Catherine in their Women in Law edition, which recognizes 17 women attorneys in Chicago for achievements in their practice, dedication to the profession, and commitment to community.
- Defense verdict in Caruso v. M&O Insulation (tried after remand)
- Successfully argued a motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction on behalf of client, a manufacturer of engineered materials, in an asbestos exposure case, Drew v. A.W. Chesterton Company, et al.
- Prevailed on a motion to dismiss based on forum non conveniens on behalf of three clients in an asbestos exposure case, Larsen v. A.O. Smith, et al.
- Worked with Massachusetts counsel to draft prevailing brief in Taylor v. General Electric Company, No. 12-cv-60048, 2013 WL 2367790 (E.D. Pa. May 30, 2013), resulting in court denying plaintiff’s motion to enforce settlement and holding that as the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services required a defendant to report a loss of consortium claim involving a Medicare beneficiary, it was appropriate for a defendant to require as a condition of settlement the disclosure of the loss of consortium plaintiff’s social security number.
- Victorious in trial on behalf of client involving sales of insulation to decedent's jobsite in which plaintiff's counsel asked jury for $3.5 million. Jury found for defendant.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice on behalf of an international hotel chain. The plaintiff had sought damages from Catherine's client based upon its relationship as franchisor to a hotel at which the plaintiff had been a guest. Catherine successfully obtained a ruling that the plaintiff had not shown that the franchisor/franchisee relationship established a duty of care on the part of the franchisor vis-a-vis the franchisee's hotel guest.
- Selected to serve on subcommittee regarding Medicare Case Management Order for Michigan's Circuit Court for the County of Wayne.
- As lead attorney, successfully obtained relief from $585,000 judgment against client prior to the firm's retention. Catherine further obtained a 100% award of all attorney fees and costs, including future attorney fees, eliminating all of her client's costs.
- Obtained summary judgment for flooring manufacturer despite product identification in a St. Louis City asbestos-related matter.
- Serves on National Coordinating and Trial Counsel teams for multiple corporations defending asbestos claims throughout the country.
- Provided pro bono representation to minors in guardianship proceedings in the Circuit Court of Cook County though her work with the Chicago Volunteer Legal Services.
PUBLISHED APPELLATE OPINIONS
- Startley v. Welco Manufacturing Co., 2017 IL App (1st) 153649
- In re K.S., 317 Ill.App.3d 830, 740 N.E.2d 425, 251 Ill.Dec. 344, Ill.App. 1 Dist., Nov 09, 2000 [as Catherine Boyd]
- In re M.R., 316 Ill.App.3d 399, 736 N.E.2d 167, 249 Ill.Dec. 325, Ill.App. 1 Dist., Aug 31, 2000 [as Catherine Boyd]
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- MSP Task Force
- Chair (2017-2018)
- Vice Chair (2013-2017)
- Center for Law and Public Policy (2016-2018)
- Co-Vice Chair, Asbestos Medicine Seminar (2014-2018)
- Chicago Bar Foundation
- Board of Directors (2009-2015)
- Co-Chair, 12th Annual Fall Benefit (2008)
- Past-President of Young Professionals Board (2005-2006)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Executive Council, Young Lawyers Section (2003-2005)
- State Bar of Michigan
- Chicago Legal Clinic, Member, Board of Directors (2015-2018)
- Equip for Equality Volunteer
- Leading Lawyers, Products Liability Defense Law and Toxic Torts Defense Law (2016-2018)
- Chicago Bar Foundation's Distinguished Service Award (2007, 2015)
- Top 100 Women Attorneys in Michigan in Super Lawyers Magazine (2014)
- Honored as one of seventeen women attorneys in Chicago recognized in Chicago Lawyer magazine's 2013 edition of Women in Law (2013)
- Super Lawyer "Rising Star," Super Lawyers Magazine (2012-2013)
- Honors-at-Entrance Scholarship recipient and a CIVITAS ChildLaw Fellow at Loyola University College of Law; Selected for Loyola's Appellate Honors Program and London Comparative Advocacy Program
- Upcoming, Co-Vice Chair, DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Austin, TX (November 8-9, 2018)
- "Illinois Overview," presented at invitation-only event of insurance company (May 22, 2018)
- "Ethical Considerations Regarding Medicare and Medicaid Liens," DRI 2018 Retail and Hospitality Seminar, Chicago, IL (May 3, 2018)
- "Medicare and Medicaid Liens in Personal Injury Cases," Strafford Webinars (April 17, 2018, encore presentation July 18, 2018)
- Co-Vice Chair, DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Las Vegas, NV (November 2-3, 2017)
- "Do You Need ESP to Address MSP? Suggestions on Working with Medicare Advantage Organizations When Settling a Personal Injury Case," Perrin Conferences, Webinar (July 25, 2017)
- “National Coordinating Counsel Roundtable,” Defense Asbestos Lawyers Seminar (DALS), Orlando, Florida (June 8, 2017)
- "Personal Jurisdiction," Client Retreat, Hilton Head, SC (May 18, 2017)
- "Addressing Medicare and Medicaid Liens in Personal Injury Cases," Strafford Webinar with a live Q&A section (originally aired December 15, 2016; rebroadcasted March 15, 2017)
- Faculty Member, “Legislative, Case Law and Regulatory Trends and Developments,” NBI Personal Injury 101 Seminar, Fairview Heights, IL (February 24, 2017)
- Medicare Secondary Payer Master Class, Dallas, TX (January 23-25, 2017); Speaker, “Historical Background of MSP & the SMART Act, Panelist, “Special Think Tank Panel: Addressing Industry Concerns to Build Better Processes.”
- Speaker, "Medicare Language Releases: How to Construct One, Settlement Documents, Liens and Statutory Fines for Failing to Comply," ACI's 22nd Annual Asbestos Claims & Litigation Conference, Philadelphia, PA (January 12-13, 2017)
- DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Co-Vice Chair and Panelist, "“Medicare Secondary Payer Compliance,” New Orleans, LA (November 10-11, 2016)
- Panel Moderator: "Medicare Compliance," DRI 2016 Retail and Hospitality Seminar, Chicago, IL (May 5-6, 2016)
- Panelist: "Navigating the Latest Changes Affecting Conditional Payment Resolution," Healthcare Education Associates: Medicare Secondary Payer Master Class, Orlando, FL (January 25-26, 2016)
- Co-Vice Chair, DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Las Vegas, NV (November 5-6, 2015)
- Panelist: “Jurisdictional Updates: Overview of California, Illinois and Emerging Jurisdictions,” Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview & Outlook, San Francisco, CA (September 28-30, 2015)
- Panelist: “Don’t Forget About Medicare! How to Comply with Medicare Reporting Requirements When Settling Toxic Torts Claims," 2015 ABA Annual Meeting Chicago, Chicago, IL (July 31, 2015)
- "Medicare Developments and Requirements," Client Retreat, Hilton Head, SC (May 14, 2015)
- "Making Smart Plays with MSP," Client Presentation, Manchester, NH (November 20, 2014)
- Co-Vice Chair, DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, San Francisco, CA (November 6-7, 2014)
- Panelist: "Risky Business: Medicare Lien Recovery Extending Now to Medicare Advantage Plans - Are You at Risk?" DRI Webcast (February 13, 2014)
- "Medicare Secondary Payer, Conditional Payment and Set-Aside Update and Tips," NBI's Advanced Issues in Personal Injury Litigation Seminar, Indianapolis, IN (December 20, 2013)
- "Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C) Liens" and "Ethics in Lien Resolution," NBI's Complex Lien Resolution in Personal Injury Settlements Seminar, Oak Brook, IL (December 5, 2013)
- Panelist: "How the Medicare Secondary Payer Act Impacts Employment Litigation," DRI Webcast (December 2, 2013)
- Co-Vice Chair, DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Moderator: "Insuring Your Success - Gain Insight on What Concerns Insurers Today," New Orleans, LA (November 7-8, 2013)
- Panelist: Women and Business Breakfast, Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview & Outlook, San Francisco, CA (September 17, 2013)
- Panelist: "Mass Torts and MSP: Change Your Thinking," DRI Webcast, DRI's Medicare Secondary Payer Task Force (September 12, 2013)
- Panelist: "Corporate Roundtable," Client Retreat, Hilton Head, SC (May 16, 2013)
- "Medicare Secondary Payer Act Local Counsel Training," Sonoma, CA (April 24, 2013)
- "Medicare Secondary Payer Act and Toxic Torts," coordinated through Perrin Conferences for client, Manchester, NH (April 17, 2013)
- "Medicare Secondary Payer Act Concerns," half-day seminar for client, Hartford, CT (March 12, 2013)
- Panelist: "Medicare - What Defense Attorneys Should Be Looking for When Settling a Case," Asbestos Defense Strategic Summit, Miami Beach, FL (November 7, 2012)
- "Liability Medicare Set-Aside Workshop: 2012 Update," NBI, Indianapolis, IN (October 19, 2012)
- "Medicare Secondary Payer Basics," presented to client, Indianapolis, IN (October 18, 2012)
- "Ethics and Medicare Set-Asides," NBI's Medicare Set-Aside Workshop 2012 Webcast (June 22, 2012)
- Co-presenter: "Medicare Secondary Payer Update," Client Retreat, Hilton Head, SC (May 17, 2012)
- Panelist: "Medicare Panel," Perrin Conferences, Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation, Beverly Hills, CA (March 1-2, 2012)
- "An Update on the Latest Guidance on Medicare Secondary Payer Issues - Making Every Second Count," Perrin Legal Webinar Series (February 16, 2012)
- "Settling Cases and Ensuring Compliance with MSP/MMSEA," Focused In-House CLE, New York, NY (January 31, 2012)
- "Medicare Set-Asides in Personal Injury Settlements," NBI Webcast (December 15, 2011 and February 22, 2012)
- Co-presenter: "Why We Care About Medicare," DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Las Vegas, NV (November 10, 2011)
- "Settling Cases and Ensuring Compliance with MSP/MMSEA," Firmwide CLE, (September 30, 2011)
- Panelist: "Medicare Update: The Impact of Medicare Reporting Rules on Asbestos Litigation," Perrin Conferences' 2011 Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook, San Francisco, CA (September 21, 2011)
- Panelist: "Current Hot Issues (Mass Torts)," Perrin Conferences, Navigating the Medicare Secondary Payer Statute in Workers' Compensation & Liability Claims, Beverly Hills, CA (March 2, 2011)
- Panelist: "Current Hot Issues (Mass Torts)," Perrin Conferences, Navigating the Medicare Secondary Payer Statute in Workers' Compensation & Liability Claims, New York, NY (December 3, 2010)
- Moderator: "Medicare - How Plaintiffs, Clients and the Government Address Recent Developments Regarding Repayment and Reporting," and Panelist: "Asbestos Medicine 102 Depositions of Critically Ill Plaintiffs and How to Address Lack of Memory Issues," DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, San Diego, CA (November 11, 2010)
- Firmwide CLE on compliance with and strategies relating to Section 111 of the Medicare, Medicaid, and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007 (MMSEA) (P.L. 110-173) (September 17, 2010)
- "Keeping the Profession Professional - A Panel Discussion on Ethics in Asbestos Litigation," Perrin Conferences, Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook, San Francisco, CA (September 13-15, 2010)
- "The Latest and Greatest Plaintiff, Defendant and Non-Party Investigation," DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Miami, FL (November 12-13, 2009)
- "Women in Business Breakfast Roundtable," Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Litigation Conference: A Comprehensive National Overview and Outlook, San Francisco, CA (September 14-16, 2009)
- "Managing Your Time Effectively," BVR Legal Teleconference (December 5, 2008)
- "New Plaintiff and Product Investigation - For the Novice, the Experienced and Everyone Else," DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Panel Discussion, San Diego, CA (November 2007)
- Panelist: "The Asbestos Deposition Primer," DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Las Vegas, NV (October 2006)
Articles and publications
- “Establishing Appeal Rights for Applicable Plans” Here’s What Defendants Should Know...,” Defense Research Institute (July 7, 2015)
- “Guide to Medicare Secondary Payer Issue,” Defense Research Institute (May 2015)
- “Much Ado About Nothing? Change to Illinois Construction Statute of Repose Should Only Apply to Claims Arising from Construction that Occurred after 2004,” Defense Research Institute: The Critical Path (April 21, 2015)
- “Justice For All: Young Professionals Take The Lead in Foundation’s “Meet The Need” Campaign,” CBA Record (October 2005)
B.A., with honors, Michigan State University (1995)
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law (1999)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Trial Bar for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois