Barry R. Schirm
Barry Schirm is the Partner-in-Charge of the Los Angeles office of Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP. For more than thirty years, Barry has primarily represented local, regional, national and international manufacturers of products, with focus on pretrial preparation and the trial of such matters in both state and federal court. His legal experience also includes all aspects of appellate review. He has represented a number of the major automobile manufacturers in cases involving defect claims related to air bags, sudden acceleration, park-to-reverse, and vehicle crashworthiness. He also has extensive experience with toxic torts, class actions, commercial litigation, and general insurance defense litigation. Among his notable cases, Barry served as trial and lead appellate counsel in Soule v. General Motors Corp., 8 Cal.4th 548 (1994), in which the California Supreme Court imposed significant limitations on the application of the consumer expectation test in design defect claims. In addition, he submitted an amicus curie brief on behalf of General Motors Corp. in Buttram v. Owens-Corning Fiberglas,16 Cal.4th 520 (1997), in which the California Supreme Court concluded that Prop. 51 can be prospectively applied to a cause of action arising from a latent and progressive disease, unless the plaintiff was diagnosed with the disease or otherwise discovered the illness or injury prior to June 4, 1986, the effective date of Prop. 51.
His other legal success includes co-founding the grassroots organization Citizens Against Lawsuit Abuse, which strives to prevent abuse in the civil justice system. He has served as an arbitrator and mediator for the Los Angeles Superior Court and is a member of PLAC, DRI, the Association of Southern California Defense Counsel, and CLM.
PUBLISHED APPELLATE DECISIONS
- Soule v. General Motors Corp., 8 Cal. 4th 548 (1994)
- Rutherford v. Owens-Illinois, Inc., 16 Cal. 4th 953 (1997) - amicus curiae brief for General Motors Corp.
- Buttram v. Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corp., 16 Cal 4th 520 (1997) - amicus curiae brief for General Motors Corp.
- Southwest Pet Products v. Koch Industries, 89 F. Supp. 2d 1115 (D. Ariz. 2000)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Los Angeles Superior Court Arbitrator and Mediator
- Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC)
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- State Bar of California
- Former Assistant Scoutmaster & Merit Badge Counselor, Boy Scouts of America
- Southern California Labrador Retriever Rescue Volunteer
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Chesser v. Certainteed
- Orona v. Amcord, Inc.
- Katherine Lopez v. BASF Catalyst, et al.
- John Elliot v. Kaiser Gypsum, et al.
- Merlin Olsen v. Asbestos Companies, et al.
- Mike Scanlon, et al. v. A.W. Chesterton, et al.
- Robert Niebauer, et al. v. 3M Company
- Lynne Haver v. Kelly-Moore Paint Company, et al.
- Ronald Saffold v. Kelly-Moore Paint Company
- John McTaggart v. Kelly-Moore Paint Company
- Adrianna Mraz v. Doe Auto Manufacturer
- Antonio Gonzales v. Doe Auto Manufacturer
- Diresh Patel v. Uniroyal Tire Company
- William Rhodes v Patrick Webb
- Virginia Giblin v. Doe Auto Manufacturer
- Terri Soule v. General Motors Corporation
- Pete Woeger v. General Motors Corporation
- Doug Keen v. Dennis Marrero
- Jennifer Rand v. Nissan Motor Corporation
J.D., Southwestern Law School (1980)
- Member, Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity
- Dean’s List
- Law Clerk, Office of the District Attorney of Orange County
B.A., Economics, California State University, Fullerton (1977)
- All California State Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- HPTY Prevails on Summary Adjudication in Los Angeles County Mesothelioma Case
- HPTY Successfully Defends Appeal of Trial Verdict
- HPTY Prevails on Summary Adjudication of Punitive Damage Claim in Los Angeles Mesothelioma Case
- HPTY Prevails on Another Summary Judgment in Los Angeles Mesothelioma Case
- HPTY Wins Another Summary Judgment in Los Angeles Mesothelioma Case
- HPTY Team Wins Summary Judgment in Los Angeles